Monday, March 20, 2017

The 'C' Word.

I haven't written for a few weeks, and my absence has made me realise, that writing also takes care of my mental health. How long have I been doing this blog? Four years, or there abouts. Anyway, I'm hardly quick off the block, at realising this. The last week or two have been hard to work through, with MS throwing it's weight around, and reminding me who's in charge.* On the one hand, I have an amazing family and a lovely home. I never thought that when I was a teenage single mum, that I would EVER own my own my own home. It was truly unthinkable. But, here I am, and I'm loving it. So, I need to keep that in mind.
So, that good stuff on one hand. And on the other hand, stuff that tips the balance, because this stuff is ALL DAY, EVERY DAY. And sometimes I just want a break. Breathing space, y'know?

Tonight I had some breathing space whilst watching 'The C word.' Sheridan Smith was playing a young newly wed who was diagnosed with breast cancer, and she played it brilliantly. I think that parallels can be drawn between illnesses and diseases, whatever their name, certainly emotionally anyway. And dealing with loss is a familiar theme also. Despite the heavy topic covered, there were moments of laughter, tenderness and joy. Real joy.
And that, ladies and gents of Facebook/Internet is my attempt at a review.
I can't remember if I mentioned that my husband's back is rubbish, due to a few battered discs, courtesy of a horse getting in a strop with him years ago. Anyway, the damage caused is appeased by regular sports massages, and maintained by yoga. Every so often it reappears, but this time it was pretty horrific. Thank goodness I have equipment around, that he could make use of, and we could fight over.
Still, he's back on his feet now and the homeostasis of our home has returned. I'm a better patient than I am a carer. And I'm a pretty crap patient.

The Good Man didn't get that name for nothing, and I'd like to thank him. Thank him for all that he is, and all that he does.




* Not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment