Sunday, November 20, 2016

Shoe box happiness......and spine scraping sadness.

It's that time of year, where primary school children are asked if they could fill a shoe box with toys and personal care items. These boxes are then collected, and distributed to children, in need of such things. Where these children are, I don't know. They could be home or abroad, I don't know, and I don't care. A child in need is a child in need, wherever they may be. I love putting a shoe box gift together. This year, I'll be doing it for a boy the same age as the little man. He'll come with me to the shops, and help choose items to go in the box. The learning to give lesson, and understanding that every one's life/home is not the same as yours, is invaluable. There's a great deal of luck involved, in how your life unfolds.

So, the next day......the little man and I, go to Sainsbury's, with daughter number 3. And it turned out that the little man was extremely tired. He had a bit of a melt down......seeing bits and bobs that he loved, go in the trolley, but they weren't for him? WHAT? We still don't have a shoe box either. Here's hoping I can get one tomorrow.......and that it doesn't start another melt down.
Thinking about it, the invaluable lesson can wait a year or two.......and just start with drip feeds.
Shoe box found, wrapped, no more melt downs. Mission complete. Well nearly. We just need to drop it off down the road, at the starting point of it's journey.

Earlier today, I did one of my 'specials.' Y'know...where I end up on my arse, on the floor. It was another slow motion slump. I was aiming for the wheelchair. Missed. Slumped. On my way to the floor, I scraped a big chunk of my spine over the wooden side of the bed. And you know how I said a couple of blogs ago, that slumping to the floor, and being on my own, were connected? Well, yep, you guessed it, I was on my own. Luckily, this time, my phone was in reach. I called The Good Man, and he was able to come home. He was nearby, and able to come home within 15 minutes or so. Why does this happen when I'm in the house on my own?? It's not like I need help transferring. Well not 80-90% of the time.

The rain is really going for it tonight....plump rain drops beat the skylight above my head like tiny angry fists. And not for the first time, I feel more than grateful for my home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment